electric wheelchairs

What does it take to get disability for a mental illness?

11 Comments 11 October 2011

Your Comments

11 Comments so far

  1. Brett says:

    What country/ state are you in? In Australia its possible but without your country its hard to help.

  2. nan4six says:

    You would obviously need recommendation from your doctor, I presume that would not be a problem considering your present condition and medical history. It totally depends on the requirements of the country or state that you live in. If your mother receives it, find out you she applied to and contact them.
    Otherwise your doctor must have all the information you require, ask him/her.

  3. luhist02 says:

    in texas yu have a long process of interviews, documentation, and can only work ten hours a week during the process. dating someone going thru exact thing.

  4. mtnsky says:

    don’t give up! get your doctor to give you a diagnosis, then don’t work for a year, then you can apply for disability. Try Ability, wellbutrin and lexapro. that combo works for me.

  5. Vickie S says:

    If you go down to your social security office they will have all of the information and be able to get you started. They may even be able to refer you to food banks and medicaid for insurance purposes. You can also apply for food stamps if you are unable to work due to the disorder. There is a lot of help out there and if you find one number ask them who else can help you and usually you’ll find one that has a list of places that can assist you. I think that if you are able to shower and eat and are not a threat to yourself or others you should be fine on your own and not in a hospital, but maybe going to the doctor and asking him/her will be best. Good Luck with everything.

  6. Retired says:

    Go to the social Security web site, it is all layed out for you, what needs to be proved, what needs to be done, everything. Good Luck!!

  7. karmatroll05 says:

    You must have medical proof.

    I could tell you from working in Social Security with the judges, you will need the following:

    1. a lawyer – While applying for a hearing in Social Security, you are entitled to a lawyer or a rep. (they should give you a list of pro bono lawyers)
    2. make 3 copies of your medical records. – one copy will go to the judge, one copy will go to the lawyer and you keep a copy for yourself. Get all medical records, even if its a temp hospital stay in the psych ward.
    3. make a list of all the medications you are currently taking.
    4. ask your therapist, former employees, friends to write statements on how your condition affected you in the work place, your friendship. Your therapist should state how it will affect you in the future.

  8. Paula S says:

    I’m sad to hear of your conditon.I suffer from depression myself.I’ve never been treated for it because I refuse to.90% of the time the drugs don’t work anyway.A friend of mine has struggled with this very issue for a while now.She’s been seeing a psychiatrist for years.Most of what you’re dealing with she’s been through too.It takes persistance.For her it was like ten years worth of trying before she finally got her ssi. One of the keys to it is getting a doctor to see and understand that it’s real, you’re not making it up.I wouldn’t recommend hurting yourself or any other extreme measure though.Sorry I cant be more help.Just keep trying.Eventually someone wil help you.

  9. labelfree says:

    Dear Sweetie,

    First you would have to need documentation. Have you been hospitalized etc….If you have or have gotten your diag Bipolar etc YOU QUALIFY. Call Social Security office and make an appointment!
    Bring as many documents and if you are on Medications bring them as well…
    It depends on how long you have worked over the years how much $ $ $ $ you put in with all your jobs included how much $ $ $ $ you will get on perm disablity!

    Dont be afraid either and YOU ARE NOT a failure! Dont allow any worker there to treat you bad and if you can get a wittness other than a family member to come with you do it!

    There are also organazations one called NAMI I think you can reach NAMI.gov or .com that could also help you! Its the National asso Mental Illness…

    There is NO SHAME at all for you getting that $ $ $ $
    People have diabeties they treat it with insulin, or cancer they have medication.

    I wish you would email me I would love to be your friend!
    Best of Luck dear!

  10. Jennifer S says:

    First you need to call your Social Security office locally and ask what paperwork needs to be filled out. They can either send it to you or you go pick it up.
    One of the things you’ll need is to contact every place you’ve been treated– every Doctor office, every hospital. You’ll need to have your records released(there’s a form to sign for this as well) so that you can provide documentation to support the need for SSI.
    Once you’ve got ALL the forms signed and copies provided for them, take it or mail it back to the office. Then you’ll have to wait for a decision to be made by them. It could take a few days to a few weeks. In some cases, I’ve heard of it taking months, but that’s not very often.

    Good luck!

  11. afhskhdfk says:

    you are given a questionaire and basically if you can answer the questionare you are denied (ironic, huh)

    if you can watch tv you are denied

    basically if you are smart enough to apply you are denied

Share your view

Post a comment

Call us now for..

Mobility Products

Special Offers

© Right Choice Mobility
391 Larkshall Road, Highams Park, Walthamstow
London E4 9EF
Internet Marketing System by ireally

For FREE Advice, Please call us on : 0208 527 7487